Protecting Your Commercial Property from Flood Damage
Commercial buildings are no different than any other property, vulnerable to storm-related damage. Especially during the Atlantic Hurricane Season, dangerous weather moving up from the tropics can cause significant problems — specifically, flooding.
Commercial Property Flood Prevention Tips
There are many different ways flooding can occur; rising rivers, tropical storms, heavy rainfall, or excessive rainfall in a brief period of time. As a property professional, it is crucial that your disaster plan covers flood concerns. Although you can’t stop a storm from hitting, you can take steps to keep your commercial or multifamily facilities safe from damage.
- Downspouts: Be sure to relocate downspouts so that water from the roof flows away from the property.
- Gutters: Prevent water from backing up into your property by cleaning out gutters. Make sure all gutters are functioning, and clear of debris.
- Check the Basement: Inspect the basement of your property. Filling cracks, patching foundation walls, and installing a sump pump can help your building dry.
- Flood-Proofing: If incoming water has been a problem in the past, consider flood-proofing your property. Just as it sounds, flood-proofing provides protection to your building from water-related damage. This typically includes applying a waterproof coating or covering to your property’s exterior walls to keep flood water from entering.
- Be Ready: Don’t wait for a storm to hit before finding out the vulnerabilities of your property.
24 Services is the preferred restoration services partner of commercial & residential property owners across New England. Whether you’re dealing with an emergency situation, or just simply need help implementing a sound Disaster Response Plan, we’re available to help. Contact 24 anytime, day or night for assistance.