Space heaters can be a life saver on those cold winter days, but can also be very hazardous. If you have a space heater, make it a habit to inspect it when you are turning it on to be sure it is working properly. Things like dust or rust can cause the heater to not work properly, which can lead to house fires.
Here are a few tips to make sure you are using your space heater safely and properly.
Check your Smoke Detector
Before purchasing and using your space heater, be sure to check your home’s smoke detectors. This can be a life saving measure when it comes to a fire due to a space heater.
Never Leave It On
Before leaving your house or going to sleep, double check that it is off. It is also good practice to go ahead and unplug it when it is not being used. This way, you can rest assured that it is off.
Plug Directly into an Outlet
Avoid using extension cords to power your space heater. These can easily overheat, cause electrical sparks, and cause a fire. Plugging a space heater directly into a plug is the safest way to power this appliance.
Block off the Area
If kids or pets live in your home, it is smart to mark or block off the space heater from their reach. There should be nothing within three feet of the space heater to ensure nothing gets burned or catches on fire. This includes drapes, blankets, beds, rugs, etc.
Space heaters can save on heating costs and can provide instant warmth during the coldest times of the year. As long as they are used safely, they are a great option.
24 Restore is the preferred restoration services partner of commercial & residential property owners across New England. Whether you’re dealing with an emergency situation, or just simply need help implementing a sound Disaster Response Plan, we’re available to help. Contact 24 anytime, day or night for assistance.