Known as the “invisible killer”, carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that often goes undetected. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of burning fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, portable generators or furnaces.
Every year hundreds of people die in the U.S. from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. An additional 20,000+ people seek medical attention for illness related to carbon monoxide.
Common Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Symptom severity varies depending on the level of carbon monoxide and duration of exposure. If you think you are experiencing any of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, go outside and get fresh air immediately:
- Shortness of breath
- Mental confusion
- Loss of muscular coordination
- Loss of consciousness
Here are a few tips that can help you prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Have your furnace, water heater and any other gas or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year
- Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors
- Have your chimney checked and cleaned every year, and make sure your fireplace damper is open before lighting a fire and well after the fire is extinguished
- Never use a gas oven for heating your home
- Never use a generator inside your home, basement or garage, or less than 20 feet from any window, door or vent; fatal levels of carbon monoxide can be produced in just minutes, even if doors and windows are open
- Never run a car in a garage that is attached to a house, even with the garage door open; always open the door to a detached garage to let in fresh air when you run a car inside
24 Restore is the preferred restoration services partner of commercial & residential property owners across New England. Whether you’re dealing with an emergency situation, or just simply need help implementing a sound Disaster Response Plan, we’re available to help. Contact 24 anytime, day or night for assistance.