While black mold may not be as visible as other types of mold, it can pose a serious threat to your health – especially if you have young children or pets in your home. Inhaling spores from black mold can cause a range of respiratory problems, and exposure over time can lead to more serious health conditions like bronchitis, permanent lung damage, and even death. If you suspect that there may be black mold growing in your home, it’s important to take action immediately to protect your family’s health.
Here’s what you need to know about the effects of black mold on children and pets:
Black Mold and Children
Exposure to black mold can cause a number of respiratory issues such as asthma, chest tightness and coughing, as well as in some cases, headaches and nausea. The danger that black mold poses is especially concerning for those with lower immune systems, such as young children who may not have the necessary antibodies to protect them from these airborne toxins. It is important to address black mold issues in the home as quickly as possible by removing wet furniture and other items from contaminated areas; otherwise, your child’s health could suffer serious consequences.
What Are the Symptoms of Mold Exposure?
The symptoms of black mold exposure can range from mild to severe, depending upon the amount of exposure. Short-term effects include coughing, wheezing and difficulty breathing; headache; skin irritation; nausea, vomiting and diarrhea; eye irritation; and a runny nose. Long-term exposure can lead to chronic respiratory problems, such as asthma or bronchitis, as well as a weakened immune system that leaves one more susceptible to infection.
In some cases, repeated and prolonged exposure to black mold can lead to serious health conditions such as memory loss and cognitive impairments, kidney or liver failure due to mycotoxins produced by black mold, permanent lung damage, and even death in extreme cases. There is also evidence linking black mold exposure with various psychological issues such as depression and anxiety.
Black Mold and Pets
In addition to children, black mold can also be dangerous for pets in the home. Animals that are particularly susceptible to these spores include cats, dogs, birds, and reptiles. Inhaling black mold spores can cause difficulty breathing or respiratory distress in animals, as well as other symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, and loss of appetite. Left untreated, exposure to black mold can lead to serious health issues such as chronic respiratory infections or even death.
It’s important to be aware of the dangers of black mold and take appropriate measures if you suspect it is present in your home. If you have young children or pets living with you, make sure they are not exposed to this type of mold as it can be very dangerous. If you discover a mold situation in your property, make sure to call a professional mold remediation company, like 24 Restore, to decontaminate any impacted areas safely and thoroughly.
24 Restore is the preferred restoration services partner of commercial & residential property owners across New England. Whether you’re dealing with an emergency situation, or just simply need help implementing a sound Disaster Response Plan, we’re available to help. Contact 24 anytime, day or night for assistance.